Sunday, October 4, 2015

Necromunda - Redemptionist Crusade (Gang)




















Hi,

I finally came around to paint up my Redemptionists consisting of most of the classical models plus some of the newer Fanatic resculpts.

Owing to the fact that both my storage and my brain are swelling over with miniatures and ideas for projects, I decided to increase my production rate! However, since I do not have more time for the hobby (as you see from posting rate ;-)), I decided to paint faster (and dirtier)! These guys took 1.5 hours per model and were painted in small groups of two to four at the same time...

I did not use the "Juve" and Zealot bodies of the Fanatic version because they are too small I think! They look strange right next to the classical models.

In addition, I converted an inquisition priest from 40K, and I gave all of them "proper" Redemptionist hoods. My idea is that all of them would hide their faces as good as possible (apart from the crazy zealots maybe) since the Redemptionists are "outlaws".

This is how I came up with the color code (no classic yellow flames because the do not go well with the white, and more importantly they would have taken too long to paint! ;):
- Novices (no models yet; to be converted still)  have only white hoods,
- Brothers have white hoods and red cowls,
- Deacons have black hoods and red cowls,
- and the Redemptor Priest is all white.
- Then, Zealots are also all white but dirtier.

The idea behind this is the following: The red is obviously the color of redemption so a full brother can wear the red, while the white is for those of pure heart, a higher level of sainthood basically. Now, a practical problem of the white is that it is easily seen in the dark corridors of the Hive and thus invites a high number of head shots. Therefore, the Deacons (the only true warriors in the "Gang"), wear black hoods. This way they can easily hide behind the mass of brothers! Since the priest is a leading figure of high sainthood he can obviously not wear black. It has to white! This of course means that he will have to be protected and has to stay behind during the battle so that he does not get shot at.

The Zealots are special and wear all white as well because they gave up basically everything to reach the ultimate redemption on the fast track so to speak. In practise this means that they are going to die in the next fight with a high certainty. However with they Eviscerator chain saws they are probably going to kill some mutants and heretics in a frenzy! Then the Eviscerator can be given to the next "lucky" soul to enter the highway! ;-)

For the Novices, I plan to convert some chaos cultists wrapping their heads into white hoods. Isn't that a big irony?! ;-)

Happy painting!

5 comments:

  1. These look fantastic and I love your colour scheme ideas. Wasn't planning anything like that for mine (which are just converted dark vengeance cultists) but now I think I may have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work. I'm really interested in making my own retributors, but they're hard to get and expensive. Do you happen to know which recasters have them?
    And which ones of them are customly made, and which of them are original?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomasz, sorry for the late answer! So of the models shown here actually all are original Redemptionists from GW, some classical and some from Fanatic. I just switched out some weapons. For the Fanatic models, I made the heads/masks with Green Stuff as I did not like the heads coming in the set. The only other model is the priest with the flamer which is actually a 40K inquisition model. Unfortunately, I do not know any recasters but probably you have also heard the incredible news that GW is bringing back Necromunda with new miniatures, in plastic! Apparently, they will make all gangs, so that should also include the redemptionists...We will see.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding figures, the paint scheme has really given them a darker edge

    ReplyDelete