Friday, April 29, 2016

Making of the Bloodletters Unit 2

So first of the conversions I did when building the models. I basicallz used a cutter and fine saw to cut off parts and then some thin metal wire to reconnect things in different angles:

Somehow, I managed to loose one upper bodzy during the assembly, and I could just not find it anymore! This lead to the guy below which uses some Chaos Space Marine parts. After taking the picture, I actually decided to change one of the legs to a Space Marine leg as you see in the next picture further down...

Then I filled the holes with green stuff. Fairly simple conversion.

Now for the painting! I first primed the Bloodletters with Chaos Black Primer, just to then use the airbrush with skull white to bring back most of the parts to light.

However, I left some areas (the bottom legs and the backs) a bit darker.

Then I sprayed Bloody Red (note that the reds come out really wrong in the photos, so you have to stick to the names of the colors here for reference...)

Next, I washed the miniatured with the old red ink.

Then I mixed some Blood Red with Bleached Bone to spray the bellies a bit to make them lighter (similar to most real animals ;-))

With the skin, the airbrushing part of the painting process is already completed.  Next up was to paint all the horns and swords black  the most tedious and annoying step of the painting (no picture).

Then followed a dry brushing of the bronze parts with Brazen Brass...

While the horns were highlighted with several layers of black with increasing amounts of Dark Sea Blue...

... over mixing in some codex grey ...

and finally Bleached Bone

Then I painted the teeth and tong with pure Bleached Bone.

And highlighted with White

Then I created a special mixture of Purple and Red Ink with lots of Ardcoat Varnish and a little pit of White to wash the tongs

Then I washed the whole skin and face with Devlan Mud to create shadows...

... and the horns and swords with Baddab Black to  smoothen the transitions.

Finally, I applied some thinned Black Ink to darken the swords even further and finish the handle.

After all the washes and inks were dry, it was time to highlight again. First the bronze parts with several layers of Brazen Brass with increasing amounts of Mithril Silver and Glorious Gold to equal parts...

And next, the teeth got some white again. The eyes yellow. And some pure Ardcoat Varnish to make the tongs and mouths shiny. :-)

The final paint step to the miniatures was to use some Tamiya Red with a tiny bit of black mixed into it to create blood effects...

That's it!

Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment